Sunday, March 22, 2009

Before and After Moments: Deepening Insight About the Game of Poker.

This evening over dinner, I was explaining how I can draw a diagram that explains why left and right, unlike up and down, are reversed in a mirror image and I of course KNOW why this is true. Yet, when I think about it, the fact that one plane of orientation is reversed while the other is held fixed seems downright silly.

One day, I'm sure an insightful 1-sentence explanation will dawn on me and it will all make sense. Until then, I wait.

Deep, nuanced understanding of a concept is never complete; nonetheless, I reckon everyone can recall I time when a concept that he or she had considered for a long time (perhaps even to a point of frustration, exhaustion, or satisfaction) went from a set of concepts held together through logic, intuition, and rigor to a singularity. That is to say, some part of a body of related knowledge became re-organized in such a way that the inter-relationships, causalities and properties were accessible in toto as a gestalt, reliable framework.

In poker, I can think of a view of these that I have mastered in such a way. In the future, perhaps I will write more about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment