Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A few things ignored by most "experts" in the poker boom.

  1. There is an enormous amount of parity accross poker advice.
  2. The majority of poker sites have a volume of content that is unwatchable due to low quality, sheer volume of content, or well beyond the point of diminishing returns for their intended audience.
  3. The majority of the audience has a very different set of values and motivations from the pros and often, (I suspect), from their stated goals.
In the low stakes, the net result is that these sites wind up creating, and marketing to an image: an imaginary player who watches and studies 10-14 videos per week, thinks critically about every hand, and is open and honest with themself about their results, strengths and weaknesses.

I would say that maybe 10-15% of individuals in the forums I read (and I don't include myself as "always there") have an admirable level of self-awareness and many just don't have that kind of time for video watching. Most, by and large are just unable to parse the critical concepts in correctly. Poker is hard enough to begin with, let alone in an environment that encourages denial.

So, with that in mind, I would like to propose concepts that are important in improving in poker.

  1. Join a group of people who will help you manage the information. Make sure you have "trust tree". Fill it with people who have access to the same resources as you, know how you play, and are trustworthy enough that you let them tell you when you are out of line or not living up to your goals.
  2. Set your goals. Seek help from smarter people in revising them. Make sure you have a plan to achieve them.
  3. Learn the ropes. Acquire (or bookmark) a database of core poker knowledge. Make sure the logic underlying your decisions are rooted in this set of data.
  4. Seek mentorship. Find an environment where you can talk about your game and get good critical feedback.
  5. Constantly revise your strategy on all levels. From "Should I even play poker?" to "What the hell do I do with KJs if my opponent 3bets me from OOP?".
  6. Recognize that the majority of your poker goals should contain particular strategies for managing your study time, assessing your play, your play time, and your goals. I learned this the hard way, but it pays off.

No comments:

Post a Comment