Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A reflection

Last night I played a longer session with bad results. I was committed and beaten in several "what can you do pots", made a very savvy check behind against what I correctly saw to be a suited connector on a combo draw, made a classic "call-to-commit" with aces on a dry board to have the guy hit the hidden part of his five-outer, and lost maybe 2.5 buy-ins due to loose and passive play in large pots. Sigh.

Nonetheless I recognized some problems that I will work on next session.

  1. I am not tight enough to 3bettors OOP preflop. You can only outplay yourself there.
  2. I did not play fit-or-fold right against a bad LAG. I should have been setting him up with check raises with good hands, not pushing teeny edges.
  3. My river sense is gone. I spewed there and failed to protect a few hands with position raises and semibluffs. You can only make up for that with river calls infrequently.
  4. Nano-tilt. One bad decision can often encourage the next. I need to recognize it and batten down.

Adjustment.

  1. Practice 4 table play for some time tomorrow.
  2. Adjust to tighter UTG/MP opening ranges. Open raising like 12/16/28/50 from the non-blind 6-max spots.
  3. Watch some videos on these subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment