Saturday, March 13, 2010

Anatomy of a spewathon.


Over about 4k hands of 25NL rush poker, I dropped 15 buyins.  Here's my breakdown of how.

  1. I wasn't using a HUD.
  2. The blinds that I left on the table ate up (-4BIs)
  3. Ran bad on preflop all ins.  Over 13 "exciting moments" I ran $99 under EV and at -$126 or (-5 BIs).   For greater than 60BBs, the worst hand I shipped against was AK.  The worst hand I shipped was AQ.  I also saw some "mid sized stacks shipping with JJ.  In addition to the (what is now obvious) spew with AQ, I also shipped QJs vs a 40BB nitwit (questionable, at best) and KJo vs a 44/11 (my head explodes at the losses I take reciprocally here).
  4. I ran bad in pots where I three bet (-$7).  I got a lot of action from marginally better hands and only got in one pot where I value towned a range for two streets.
  5. I got creamed when I faced a 3 bet and didn't get all in (-$180.00) (-7  BIs).  Once I spewed off 1.5 BIs facing what I though was likely a desperation river bluff from a draw (wasn't).  A second time I called three streets with an overpair when I could've dumped the turn vs the villain's range (-1.25 BI).  I shipped KQ vs a three-bet range much narrower than I thought.  I missed with a semibluff shove once and semibluffed into what I presumed was a weak range (wasn't) and I only got paid a few times. This, alongside with the marginal losses is enough to empty a pocket.
  6. I wasn't using position or betting information well.  So I picked up a little bit of value here and there, but not nearly as much as what I left lying around.  Barf.

Take home lessons:

  1. Use a HUD for Rush poker.
  2. Betting ranges are narrower than I thought.  I broke one of the fundamental rules of poker and was denying I did it while I did: I was giving nitty, solid regs action with marginal hands.  Doing this 5 times was enough to cost me, well five or more buy-ins.
  3. Nobody else is playing in thin spots, so I should adjust my strategy.  More raise and one barrel.  Less multistreet play.  Less drawing to two pair/straight combo hands.
  4. Start using stop losses in RUSH poker.  The game just goes to fucking fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment