I've put in a ton of hands, but only about 2/3 of what I thought I could. A few things come to mind.
- The variance in all forms of poker is wider than I recall, but if anything, a little less overtly flustering. It's good to know that while I was being a lazy bum about actually playing poker I possibly acquired some patience.
- There are many ways for my game to go off-track or look that way. Three tough hands at a time is still a bit much for me and my autopilot brain takes over. He doesn't the best decisions all the time :).
- When you multi-table X number of tables, it shouldn't be your goal to play X tables at a time. It should be to look for and get the X best seats available. There are regs even at these limits, and they play much better than the fish.
- Autolabeling is a neat feature and it permits me to devote more energy to labeling as many of my opponents as I can. HEM's auto-label feature is pretty good for 25NL players. I've seen a few I disagree with but not many.
- Two barreling and three streets for value go great together, but they also require enormous precision. When I start to get overwhelmed these things lose their value. I think I left 20 bucks on the table through a combo of missing some double barrels and making a few bad ones.
- Almost no players bluff the turn or bluff commitment on the flop in these games.
- Bet sizing tells are everywhere.
- Exploiting your opponents poor hand reading skills and transparent tendencies is a hugely valuable here.
In tourney's I've run face first into variance as well. And according to info I now have, the downswings I have faced will occur at a frequency of less than a few hundred games. Time to step down.
Right now, I'm putting aside a little time to play some PLO8. This game seems really intriguing to me and I've always had a blast playing split-pot games.
Lessons learned this week
- Variance is still around
- Aggression is killer in NL25
- Being able to get 3 streets of value from any type of opponent is really valuable. The more opponents you have cinched, the better.
- Knowing who does what in response to which betting lines is something that would be impossible to record for all opponents, but with a little more practice I think I'll have it.
- Playing loads of hands creates a huge opportunity to learn and think.
- I need to maintain focus better towards the middle of my sessions.
- I am a long way from my previous abilities and I'm ok with that.
- Try for another 8k hands of 25NL minimum.
- Try to increase aggression even more.
- Try to get my blind defense and cold-calling IP ranges a little more precise.
- Look at double barreling hands and how it works.
- Get a sweat session or two in.
- Review some more hands to look at successful and less successful non standard lines.
- Move down in MTTs and SNGs, get aquainted with the $4-6 crowd on stars. PLay at least 3 morning or afternoon sessions.
- Watch some Tendler stuff on improving focus and "in-game mindsets"
- Continue watching videos and learning.
- See whatr PLO8 is like.
No comments:
Post a Comment